I enjoy writing, and I'm fortunate to have found people prepared to publish some of the things I've written. This page catalogues those things.
Nuclear War in the UK
Hardback, 128 pages, illustrated in glorious full colour
My history of how Britain prepared for nuclear attack during the Cold War, including many previously-unseen documents.
- "A handsome book with excellent reproductions of rarely-seen material"★★★★★ Fortean Times
- "Might be my favourite book of the year"Sian Cain, Guardian Books
- "I am LOVING this book of bleak civil defence and cold war porn"Ben Goldacre
- "Full of wonderful, terrifying pictures ... I heartily recommend it to people who really don't want to sleep at night"Iain Lee
- "I've read a lot of books on the subject, and this is hands down my favourite"Dan Vernon, Director, A British Guide to the End of the World (Arena/BBC Four)
Preparing for Armageddon
Feature about nuclear fears in Britain in the early 1980s, centred around responses to the government's questionable advice on building your own fallout shelter.
How Not to Prepare for Nuclear War
Article looking at the genesis of, and reaction to, the Protect and Survive public information campaign, and its impact on how subsequent British governments have communicated unthinkable threats.
Bracing the Nation
Images extracted from my book, Nuclear War in the UK.
Hun-Identified Flying Objects
Feature on the press-driven public hysteria over mysterious objects dropped by German aircraft in the First and Second World Wars.
How to Survive a Nuclear War: The York Experiment
The story of three women locked in a room for two days to simulate life under fallout conditions slowly losing their marbles.